Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bringing the weather home

As a brief aside from my ToC updates, I felt compelled to make note of the fact that riding conditions this morning were almost identical to those in California during the Rapha Redwoods Ride. We left at 7:00, and the rain started at 7:30. Temps were in the low 40's. We even had a puncture, as if to complete the recreation. Someone said that we were Euro for riding in such conditions. My experience is that the Euro pros wanted as little to do with this weather as I did. 

The critical difference between rides like today and the usual Saturday club ride is not actually the experience during the ride, rather it is the feeling you get when you get off the bike. Your destination has never been more comfortable, and your favorite recovery meal never tastes so good. The heat of lasting embrocation feels nearly divine. When I hammer out winter miles in the cold and rain, I get a sense of pride that seems more justified. I feel like I accomplished more today. I even feel enlightened, in a peculiar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment