Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dinner last night


I went to Jolie restaurant in Calistoga on recommendation, and it did not disappoint. I won't pretend that I'm a restaurant/food critic (my wife, however, could do it easily and elegantly), but this place was simply good. The "simplicity" was actually the emphasis: food from the farm to the table. I wasn't amazed by the service, but this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows what I think about service in the restaurant industry. The ambiance was plain but it had a warmth that emanated as much from the well-worn wooden bar and tasteful lighting as it did from the ambiance of the crowd that was largely local. Locals were easy to spot - they all wore jeans. 

Perhaps my favorite part was the small portioning. I love small portions at a restaurant. Less is more, you know. And this no more true than in a meal where flavors are orders of magnitude more rich and flavorful than anything I make at home. All you need is a little bit to appreciate why it's worth the price, not a quantitative balance. That's a fast-food approach: "more for your money." 

The meal was great, but I won't even both making recommendations other than to pair wine with the same mentality. One glass is all you need to appreciate a wine and food combo, then move on. It allows you to try significantly more variety and pairings, and then at the end of the meal you can actually drive home.

Ciao for now, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment