Saturday, February 14, 2009

Safely in Sacramento


After two flights, a few delays, and a long layover, I'm here in Sacramento. I'm staying at the Super 8 just a few blocks from the AACTD conference, which is not too far from the start of the prologue. The hotel was a good price (much better than the embassy suites) and they advertised a continental breakfast and free wi-fi. Of course, you do get what you pay for. The breakfast, although unavailable until 7:00, is already sitting out in the lobby area, and by "free wi-fi" they mean that the helpful guy at the front desk will give you the password to the nearby Days Inn network. Classy.

My luggage (read: bike) made it just fine. I haven't actually checked it, but the bag is here and there is nothing I could tonight if in fact something did get damaged. I'm just thrilled that all of the rate limiting steps have been made without a problem. With my bike, my clothes, and an efficient Toyota, I'm going to travel across the bay area and back without depending on anyone else. Also great: my bike fits, in bag, in the back seat of the rental. Win. Now I don't have to disassemble and reassemble it on the way back to the airport. Assuming again that everything is intact, I'm amazed by this case.

The George Bush Intercontinental Airport was a bit disappointing. I guess I'm just used to DFW, which has so much more to do. The restaurants choices were weak and there was no interesting shopping (except for the iPod/PSP vending machines - I spent more time flipping through those ridiculous as spontaneous options than any other store). Worst of all, no wi-fi. My hope is that I can use down time to keep this blog rolling, and those hours would have been nice to put toward getting some of the details in order. I did feel slightly better about the experience when I came across a life-sized statue of Bush the Elder in what appeared to be a fashion model representation, with jacket being flung over his shoulder and neck tie whipping the in breeze. GB meets GQ.

Arighty, time for bed. This guy is exhausted. I'll be up a few, and then in conference for several hours. Look for more then.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are there safely and your bike made it. I am also glad you are going to try to blog - had no idea you were going to do so. Can't wait for pics along the way! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete